Ir al contenido principal

Hello world. I've come to read your quarantine!


In gay culture, “reading” is the act of pointing out a flaw in someone else (usually publicly and in front of them) and exaggerating it.



I am Diego, I am a proud gay activist and, after almost 60 days of quarantine, to quote the famous Detox (not the diet but the drag queen) “I’ve HAD it, officially!”

Please, do not get me wrong. It is not that I am against all the effort the countries and their governments are doing to stop this pandemic. Neither that I am not willing to follow the necessary measures to prevent infection or trying to be in my home most of the time (though for my mental health I have been going for a run alone every other day).

It is the fact that the media and the people only seem to care about how many new cases are we having every day, how many have died, and what TikTok are we sharing today to laugh away the lockdown. We are turning frivolous counting people as numbers, simple IDs that are losing a battle against an invisible enemy (though not invincible), while we sit distracted in our phones.

I know these times are difficult. I am doing my best effort to keep my companies running, innovating in the different foundations I work for, and holding the salary of almost 30 people until we pass these times and adapt to the “new normal”. But, at the end of the day I am upset that some people give me the evil eye for going out for a walk, or a run, saying that I am being selfish. That I do not care.

And what I say to those people, is that being gay we have learnt to live with an invisible enemy since the 80’s. Every time we meet someone in a bar, or an app, the LGBTQ community faces the daunting truth that HIV is out there waiting to get any of us who dares to forget to use a condom.

For those who like to measure the COVID-19 in numbers, according to UNAIDS [1] 1.7 million people became newly infected with HIV and 770.000 people died from AIDS-related illnesses (end 2018). Since the start of that epidemic almost 75 million people have become infected with HIV, almost half are dead of the disease by now.

Someone said, “you can’t compare. That has a cure and is not that you can catch it anywhere”. My answer is simple…tell me how many people get free (or at least not expensive) access to the treatments for prevention (Like Truvada or “prep”) or post-exposure. Most governments do not care. And the same happens with other pandemics such as malnutrition, access to drinking water, dengue, cholera, corruption, and lack of sex education.

The focus on COVID will last for several more months, that’s for sure. But at the same time, this means that we are turning our heads away from other issues that still matter. So, forgive me for not watching every second of the news on this new prime time “Miss K-rona”, but I don’t want to lose my focus on my values and my own fights. I know, I am a Shaper, but sometimes we may be able to say “I’ve had it, officially”.


Note: This post was part of the project  "The Shape I'm in", from the Global Shapers Philadelphia Hub part of the World Economic Forum. Link: https://shapeiamin.netlify.app/post/hello-world-ive-come-to-read-your-quarantine-1-by-diego-tomasino/

[1] https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/fact-sheet

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Fobias organiza-sociales

""El odio a las razas es más bien el abandono de la naturaleza humana".                                  - Orson Wells (1915-1985) En los últimos meses el término Xenofobia ha estado en boca de muchos. Hechos como l a revigorización del Ku Klux Klan en EEUU, los últimos atentados yihadistas en Europa, marchas contra los derechos LGBTI, el alza de la participación política de Neo-Nazis o persecuciones a otras minorias de inmigrantes  en diferentes paises de Latinoamérica, nos hacen dar cuenta de que aún el mundo tiene un largo camino hacia la paz y convivencia mundial. Pero a ver, comencemos por definir el tema.  Google define una fobia como:   “ Temor intenso e irracional , de carácter enfermizo, hacia una persona, una cosa o una situación .” [1] A veces estos miedos no son tan irracionales…por ejemplo, si uno se atraviesa con una araña más grande que lo normal, cualquier persona entendería una potencial «aracnofobia», o si estando en un estadio de fut

Why efforts to promote LGQBT inclusivity matter

"A bold attempt, is half success" -Danish Proverb If we take five minutes to look back in history, just 10 years ago, it was illegal to be gay in Panama. Only in 2008, while other countries started to approve LGBTQ unions or marriages, a presidential decree decriminalized homosexual relationships. In 2019, even though there are no laws against that directly discriminate the LGBTQ community, they still find most of their rights diminished compared to other citizens. Beyond not being able to get married or adopt children, LGBTQ couples cannot ask for a sharedbank loan to buy a house, deduct their spouse in the Income Tax,or  accompany his/her partner into a public hospital if an accident occurs. Even small details are denied, such as having to fill two different customs paperwork when they enter the country, as they are not considered a “family group”.  Those are only a few examples on why LGBTQI inclusivity is one of our priorities in the GS Panama Hub. We aim to co

Connecting the dots between information and knowledge

Real Knowledge is to know the extent of one´s ignorance Confucius Last week I was perusing Facebook, as I sometimes do when I have some minutes free – more always than sometimes, to be true. I came across with a very interesting image of three clocks, one next to each other. They compared the pace of three different aspects of every day: Time, information and Knowledge Time: the clock hands moved at a regular pace, about 5 seconds to give a full turn. Information: the hands were like crazy, about 20 times the speed of the “time clock” Knowledge: the hands were stuck in number 6, like defeated. They tried to go up, but keep coming back to the 6. I tried to find this gif image again, but I was unable to find it, in spite of googling it by using all the combination of words possible, and rummaging through all my contacts of Facebook. That’s the problem with this amount of information. You can never find it when you really need it. So let`s try to make my poin